Wednesday 1 February 2017

Welcome! The blog starts here.

 It is, I think, as good a place as any. Having spent a long time messing about with self indulgent fiction writing, I finally decided in 2015 to be a bit more grown up and to write something that people might actually want to read.
The previous summer I had visited a holiday villa which was generously stocked with a small library of paperbacks -one of which was a well thumbed copy of Echo Park. At the time, I had heard of but never read any Michael Connelly books, so I decided to give it a shot.
The experience of being immersed in  the world of a LA homicide detective was so enjoyable that I decided to visit that world on my own terms, with my own tour guide.
When I returned home, I sat down at the computer and created Leighton Jones. I knew the character, his back story - freshly retired - and his personality, but I wanted a case for him to investigate. And so I decided to play about with the seed of an idea that had been rattling around in my head for years. It involved an oblivious passenger climbing aboard a bus on which everyone else was a killer. That's what you get when you buy economy, right?  

The result was my first commercial thriller The Girl on the Bus, which will be published by Bloodhound Books in April 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment