Friday 25 May 2018


Here we go again.


It has more than a year since the release of my debut novel The Girl on the Bus. During that zoetrope of months flickering by, I have often been humbled by the many generous readers who took the time to share their reactions personally and on social media. It still amazes me my protagonist – Leighton Jones – seems to resonate with so many people.

I remember worrying that in a world which was increasingly embracing characters like Reacher and Bourne, there would be little room for an ordinary detective with no combat training or secret weapons. The closest thing Jonesy has to a superpower is his integrity, but perhaps that is enough...

And so as the official release date of Carpenter Road draws near, I am excited at the thought of Detective Leighton Jones pursuing a murderer through dusty California one more time.  I only hope that I can do the character justice and provide the readers with a decent ride too.

This novel is, in some respects, a less dramatic tale than The Girl on the Bus. I hope, however, that it will be equally engaging.  In this exercise, I have attempted to give readers a closer look at Leighton’s life and work, prior to joining the Homicide division. At home, we see him struggle to maintain a relationship with his teenage daughter. Whilst at work, this point in his career, is less about chasing speeding buses and more about laying out road cones and leading Driver Safety classes. Until he meets Rochelle, and then all hell is let loose…
NB 


1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed Leighton Jones and can happily recommend N.M. Brown's books to friends and family.

    ReplyDelete